Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for giving us the ability to have a personal prayer life. What if that was not an option! Thank you for making yourself available for relationship. Thank you for allowing us to utilize Your mind as we act in faith by allowing ourselves to die so that we can receive thoughts and motivations from Your mind and a new heart.
Gleaning: There is an inheritance for those who believe. This inheritance is not one of tangible, material things like clothes, or money, or even gems or gold or anything that the world uses to trade with. Some people are in on great knowledge and wisdom that will benefit those around them and themselves.
It says in 1Peter 1; 4 : <to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away. reserved in heaven for you> It is undefiled! Holy moly, lets take a quick minute and concentrate on that word “undefiled” and the unwritten (in this verse) significance of it’s meaning here in 1Peter.
I don’t think we can understand the magnitude of that. Why? Because we are born into a world that is so defiled, however, yet in a beautiful way still displays God’s glory. The world lacks undefiled love, it lacks undefiled truth, it lacks undefiled wisdom. Truth: Here on earth truth is either missing parts, has too many parts and/or has been twisted. Same with love and wisdom. They started as pure and then have been tampered with.
Somewhere between the source of these things and us receiving them they have gone through a filter that distorts them. Because everything we live around, deal with, are tested by, what we love, what we hate, what we take care of, and what takes care of us (except for God Himself, not the idea we have of him) is defiled we need this point to be made in order that we understand the magnitude of us having an undefiled treasure waiting for us in heaven.
Here are some other references to this type of treasure:
- The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field
- Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”
- If you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.
- Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.
- As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.
But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.
God has provided us with riches in knowledge and wisdom which will be useful today and in the days to come. God let us and give us courage to seek after those riches above all else.